Monday

Ode to Retford Station

The Third of July Two Thousand and Eleven. Sunday.

Have returned today from a lovely weekend at Meaty Flavour's house in Worksop catching up with the man himself, his lovely family and the man behind Germany's 1977 Eurovision entry. My journey back involved changing trains at Retford station in order to catch the service bound for York. Pigging thing was half an hour late, wasn't it? So I missed my connection to Scarborough and spent a very pleasant afternoon quaffing a frappucino and listening to Danny Baker in the shade on Platform 9. But during that extra 30 mins or so at Retford I decided to record what pleasures this peculiar station had to offer. Wikipedia has a very nice write up about it, but here are some of my personal investigations.


You arrive from Worksop on one of Retford's lower level platforms. Yes, Retford station has two levels! How cool is that? Above is the view as I left Platform 4 with a view to making my connection.

Its bipartite layout means Retford isn't an ideal station to change at, especially if you have a lot of luggage, but that has become easier in recent times since they bobbed a lift in.


Mind you, it's still heck of a distance to run between platforms if you're late for a connection.


The path that connects the low level platforms to the high level runs right next to the main line so you can be surprised as an express flies by at 100 mph or so.






Then it's a stroll all the way along Platform 1 to get to the entrance and the underpass to Platform 2.


There's an up and down express line between the lines that adjoin the platforms. Check this out - here's five Class 66s coupled together bombing along down line. I didn't realise this was such a cool formation - I'd have waited a second longer to get more of the locos in if I'd known.


Platform 1's where you'd wait for your train toward London King's Cross.


Although, as I said, there isn't a very frequent service (especially on a Sunday). Most services pass through without stopping.






Platform 1 is also home to the Bassetlaw Railway Society.





There are some interesting photos on display and plenty more on their website. At this point I popped out and went to the shop over the road to get some reasonably priced Irn Bru rather than pay station prices. On my return I had a good look at the exterior of the station.


Upon returning I checked the expected time of my delayed train on the displays in the ticket hall.





Not too long to wait now so I made my way downstairs and into the underpass to Platform 2.


Through the tunnel...


No don't turn back.





Go up, into the light.


Anyway, Platform 2 has a dinky little waiting room.


On a hot day like today, however, most passengers were outside.


Odd way round, Platform 2. It's facing the same direction as Platform 1 so it's as if it's turning its back on the rest of the station.


If you peer through the fence you can see the other side where you came from. But be careful - there are still expresses bombing along. Here's a Grand Central one, resplendent in its black livery.


The next train to come did stop, though. It was mine and I made my way to York knowing I'd have an extra two hour wait for the next Scarborough train.

Good job I wasn't in a hurry.

Oh, I'm home now, by the way. I did make it eventually.

More soonliest.

No comments:

Post a Comment