Sunday

Confessions of a Sleepy Ghost

The Second of July Two Thousand and Eleven. Saturday.

It's the middle of the night again. But this time in someone else's house. It's odd to be surrounded by so many people.

Usually I'm on my own - sometimes the boys are with me. But tonight I'm in a house that is very much filled with life.

I'm sat here in the darkness, huddled within the tiny pool of light given off by my phone screen. There's the deep breathing and snuffling of someone else in the room, fast asleep, unseen.

I've heard footsteps on the landing upstairs a couple of times. The first time, after a visit to the bathroom, carefully closing the door behind them, the night wanderer came downstairs for a drink - all the while not noticing me.

The second noctonaut also went to the bathroom. They didn't feel the need to close any doors so the subsequent waterfall could be heard even down here.

It's a peculiar sensation. Is this how a ghost feels? Surrounded by people unaware of your presence - ironic loneliness. Part of me longs for my own bed - more familiar and comforting but then I really would be alone.

Outside on the pavement, the dark makes no noise.

All ghosts fade and I guess it's time for me to get to sleep. Now I have to tread lightly. I'm not alone in my flat and this is a very considerate haunting. I don't want to wake anyone as I brush my teeth...

More soonliest.

No comments:

Post a Comment